Cookies are more than a sweet treat. They evoke a sense of identity and family ties. Every family has a few favorite cookies that mean family togetherness. Like these old fashioned Trail Mix cookies that are a new take on traditional oatmeal cookies, family favorites are perfect for after-school snacks and trips in the car.
Trail Mix Cookie
Sometimes you don’t want a sweet cookie. Sometimes you want crunch and quick nourishment. Sometimes you need a snack to take with you, which is more satisfying and nourishing than a chocolate chip cookie. Sometimes you need a meal that you can hold in your hand – one that can tide you over for a few hours, till you reach home, or till dinner is cooked. That’s when Trail Mix Cookies are ready to serve.
Trail mix cookies combine the goodness of old fashioned oats, with nourishing sunflower seeds or nuts, coconut, dried fruit, and dark chocolate chips. They are satiating and will give you that burst of energy to get you through, when you are away from home. These are great to take in the car, for the times you get stuck in traffic or something comes up and you just don’t get home when you thought you would.
Trail Mix Cookies
A drop cookie with the nutritional staying power of trail mix and granola.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 12
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 36
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Drop cookies
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and light.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add flour, oatmeal, and baking soda to the batter and mix until just blended.
- Fold in coconut flakes, seeds or nuts, raisins or other dried fruit, and chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate the batter for 1 hour to solidify the batter and to meld flavours. Preheat oven to 360*F.
- Drop batter by teaspoonful onto buttered cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches between each cookie to allow for spreading
- If you prefer a chewier cookie add 1 egg yolk to the batter as you are adding the 3 eggs. The extra fat from the egg yolk increases the chewiness of the cookies.
Try these other cookies for after school treats and family times. These are all quick to bake and easy on the budget.
Check out grandma’s tips for the best cookies ever.
Back to you:
What’s your favorite healthy cookie or nutritious snack to take along on shopping trips or appointments?