A crisp flat bread.
- 7 cups w/w flour, freshly ground
- 1 cup ground flax seed, grind this as you need it
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tsp. of sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Mix flour, flax seed and salt.
- Set aside.
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup of water to which 1 tsp. of sugar has been added.
- Set aside until yeast mixture is foamy and all yeast is dissolved.
- Add yeast mixture to flour mixture.
- Add oil.
- Mix well adding more flour as necessary to make a firm bread dough.
- Knead for 5 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Oil the top of the dough, cover and let proof in a warm place until dough doubles in bulk — about 60 minutes.
- Punch down, knead again briefly and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 36 portions.
- Roll each portion as thin as possible to make a 4 inch circle.
- Alternatively, roll between two sheets of parchment paper and score into crackers before baking.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Preheat cookie sheets before laying out circles of dough.
- Bake each cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
- Flip crackers over and bake for an additional 2 minutes.
- Crackers will puff up like pita bread and become crisp and light.