A crisp and spicy flax cracker, perfect for cheese and wine.
- 2 cups of w/w flour, freshly ground
- 1 cup of flax seed, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup of whole flax seed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne powder
- 3/4 cup. water or enough to make a stiff dough — like a noodle dough
- Mix all ingredients together, except water until well mixed and mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Make a well in the centre and add water.
- Mix until mixture forms a firm ball, adding water 1 tsp at a time to get the dough the right consistency.
- Knead on well floured surface for five minutes until dough is smooth and satiny.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 portions.
- Knead each portion separately and roll very thin.
- Cut with round cookie cutters.
- Pierce each cookie with a fork in at least 4 places.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 15 minutes in 350F, until golden brown.
- Cool in a basket lined with a linen towel.
- Store in an air-tight container once cool, to keep them crisp.