How much does it cost to make your own herbal capsules?
Making your own herbal capsules is economical. The investment that you make in purchasing Certified Organic Herbs, the capsule machine, and the empty capsules will repay itself in the savings that you make over buying the readymade supplements. But how long will it take before you break even? What if I told you that you’d make the full cost back with one batch of supplements? Would you want to know more?
Let’s break the cost down. I’ll use a simple turmeric supplement as the base line so that you can see where the savings are.
Turmeric (Curcumin longa)
Turmeric is a valuable spice that is from the ginger family . The spice is in the orange root that is full of antioxidants.
Turmeric has many benefits as an herbal supplement:
- Supports the liver in cleansing toxins from the body
- Lowers cholesterol and supports cardiovascular health
- Increases metabolism, aiding weight loss
- It repels insects
- Cancer prevention
- Slows the growth of tumours
- Slows the progression of Alzheimer’s by removing plaque from the brain
- Promotes healthy skin
- Helps digestion
- Aids in memory function
- Supports eye health
- Maintains healthy uterus
Cost of Turmeric capsules
Dr. Mercola sells a bottle of 90 500mg turmeric/ginger capsules for $17.47 on his website. The dosage is 2 capsules so the bottle gives 45 doses. (Dec. 2012)
Cost comparison for making your own turmeric capsules:
- Certified Organic Turmeric can be purchased from Rose Mountain Herbs for $7.50/lb.
- You will need 4 tbsp. of the herb or around 50 grams to fill 100 capsules. (83 cents worth of herb)
- The capsules are $18. per 1000 capsules or $1.80 for 100 of them.
- The Capsule Machine is $13.50.
- The machine with 1000 capsules is around $25 from Amazon.com. This is the best deal.
As you can see, by adding the cost of 50 grams of herb (.83)
The cost of 100 capsules ($1.80)
And the cost of the capsule machine at $13.50,
Capsule Connection, CAPSULE FILLER MACHINE FOR SIZE “0”
You will re-coup the cost of supplies with your first batch of 100 pills. The break even is point is at 81 capsules. After that your cost per capsule is only 2.63 cents. Another way of looking at it is, for the 30 minutes it takes to make 100 capsules you are earning $16. ($32 an hour), once you’ve made your initial batch.
Friday, on my blog, I’ll show you how easy it is to use the capsule machine to make your own herbal supplements. When you buy your herbs from a reputable certified organic source, like Mountain Rose Herbs, you also ensure that you are using quality, organic ingredients in your own supplements and getting the very best herbal supplements that you can.
On Wednesday on my blog, I shared my own recipe for weightloss supplements using herbs that you can find at Mountain Rose Herbs, or your local health food store. Always use certified organic herbs when making your own herbal supplements.
Other herbal remedies for your homestead pharmacy: