Vanilla enhances the flavor of chocolate, improves the appetite and was traditionally used as an aphrodisiac. This recipe uses 1 vanilla bean per fluid ounce of bourbon or vodka.
- 2.5 ounces whole vanilla beans (About 15 to 20)
- 20 to 25 ounces bourbon or vodka
Making vanilla extract couldn’t be easier.
- Split 15 to 20 vanilla beans down the middle
- Remove a 1/2 cup of alcohol out of a bottle of vodka or bourbon.
- Take the split vanilla beans, along with their seeds, and put them into the bottle of alcohol.
- Top up the bottle with the reserved alcohol. Cap tightly.
- Shake daily, or as often as you think of it, and allow it to macerate for 6 to 8 weeks, up to 3 months.
- Strain the liquid. Bottle and use as you would regular vanilla.
In a hurry and need a small gift fast? For smaller amounts of vanilla place 1 split vanilla bean in a 1 ounce amber bottle with dropper lid. Top up the bottle with bourbon. Cap tightly. Label. It’s ready for gift giving. Just add a ribbon.