- 4 cups St. Johns Wort flowers, fresh but wilted
- 3 to 4 cups olive oil or another carrier oil
- When you get the flowers home, leave them in the basket to wilt for 4 to 8 hours. Then, using a clean and sanitized quart wide-mouth mason jar, fill the jar with freshly picked and wilted St. Johns Wort flowers.
- Pour olive oil or another carrier oil over the flowers in the jar.
- Use a knife to dislodge any air bubbles.
- Cover with additional olive oil if necessary.
- Cap tightly and shake the jar to evenly distribute the oil with the flowers. Top up with more oil if necessary so that the flowers remain under the oil in the jar.
- Put this in a sunny window and let the solar radiation draw the hypericin into the oil. The oil will turn ruby red after 2 or 3 days.
- Leave the oil for 4 to 6 weeks. Shake the jar once a day, or as often as you think of it, to redistribute the oil among the flowers. This will make your infused oil more potent
- After 30 days, strain the flowers from the oil. The oil will be red.
- Pour the ruby red oil into tinted jars to protect the St. John’s wort infused oil from light damage and cap tightly.
- Label with the name of the flower, type of oil used, and date that the oil was infused. Store in a cool, dark place protected from heat and light.