Perfect sourdough bread requires lots of waiting time, for the ferment and flavors to develop. The hand’s on requirement is only a little more than the average bread recipe. The extra effort is well worth the complex flavor of fresh sourdough bread.
- ¼ cup sourdough starter
- ½ cup water, warm
- 1 ½ cups of flour, organic whole wheat
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt
- Plus flour and water to replenish the sourdough starter in the jar
- 1 ¼ cup water, warm
- 3 cups flour, whole wheat
- plus ½ cup of flour for kneading
- ½ cup of pre-ferment dough
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1/8th tsp. of bakers yeast
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
For the pre-ferment:
- Remove the sourdough starter from the jar and put it into a mixing bowl. Do not wash the jar.
- Replace the starter in the jar with 2 tbsp. of whole wheat flour and 2 tbsp. of water. Stir well.
- Place the lid on loosely and set aside, to preserve your sourdough starter.
- Put warm water in a bowl.
- Add flour, salt, and sourdough starter.
- Mix on low speed for 2 minutes until well combined into shaggy, moist dough.
- Cover the bowl with a tight fitting lid and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- Combine water, whole wheat flour, pre-ferment dough, yeast, olive oil, and salt in a bowl.
- Mix on low with a dough hook, until well combined.
- Increase the speed to medium and continue mixing until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl and makes a slapping sound against the sides of the bowl. The sides of the bowl will be clean. This will take about 4 minutes.
- The dough will be moist. Less flour is better than too much flour.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and cover with plastic wrap or a tight fitting lid.
- Allow to rise for a 4 to 6 hours.
- Punch down and knead in a scant amount of flour so that dough can be handled without messing up your fingers.
- Form the dough into an oval loaf.
- Place the dough on a greased baking sheet.
- Slice the top to allow for rise.
- Cover with a cloth and allow to rise about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a shallow pan of water into the oven during the preheating time to create steam in the oven.
- Place the risen loaf in the oven. Splash a ¼ cup of water into the floor of the oven. Quickly close the oven door.
- Bake the loaf for 40 minutes until the loaf is well browned. It will rise in the centre where the loaf was sliced.