A simple loaf of bread to start you on your breadmaking journey.
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 tbsp. yeast
- 1 ½ cups of warm water (103F)
- 2 tbsp. organic sugar
- 2 tsp. Celtic salt or Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp. butter or coconut oil
- ½ cup of additional grains such as ¼ c. freshly ground flax, ¼ c. ground nuts or sunflower seeds
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, with 1 tbsp. of sugar. Once yeast is bubbly pour it in a mixer bowl.
- Add 4 cups of flour, the other tbsp. of sugar, salt, butter or oil, and ¼ cup of freshly ground flax seed, plus ¼ cup of ground nuts or other seeds.
- Mix using the dough hook of your stand mixer until dough forms into a ball.
- Remove dough from mixer and knead by hand for a few seconds until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Put dough into mixer bowl, cover with a towel or plastic bowl cover to retain humidity, and keep dough from drying out.
- Allow dough to rise 1 ½ to 2 hours in warm place, until dough is double in bulk.
- Rising spot should be at least 70F but not more than 90F.
- When the dough has doubled in bulk, remove the dough from the bowl.
- Knead briefly.
- Allow dough to rest, covered for 10 minutes.
- Form the dough into an oblong loaf.
- Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Top with a sprinkling of ground nuts.
- Cut the top to allow the dough to rise unimpeded.
- Cover the loaf with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for 40 to 60 min.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place baking sheet with loaf in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn heat down to 350F and bake an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove loaf.
If bread is done the loaf will sound hollow when tapped on the underside.
Let bread cool completely before slicing, or it will squish.