This granola is useful to have on hand for quick breakfasts.
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup of honey
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup of milk kefir, (fermented milk)
- ½ cup freshly ground flax seed
- 1 cup of chopped hazelnuts
- 8 cups of old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup of medium shredded coconut
- 2 cups of dried cranberries
- In a saucepan, melt the coconut oil and honey together, just until both are liquid. Stir well.
- Add vanilla and kefir.
- Transfer the mixture to a 4 to 5 quart mixing bowl.
- Add nuts, coconut, and flax seed and stir well.
- Add rolled oats and stir until all the oats are evenly moistened.
- Spread oat-nut mixture on a well-buttered baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 325*F and bake for 20 minutes.
- Stir granola on baking sheet so that corners do not brown prematurely.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir granola again.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes, if necessary.
- Granola is done when it is evenly golden brown.
- Increase baking time at 10 minute intervals, stirring intermittently, so that the corners do not over brown.
- Variations in both altitude and relative humidity can affect the length of time required for the granola to brown evenly.
- Once granola is evenly golden in colour, remove from oven.
- Before the granola cools, stir in 2 cups of prepared, dried fruit.
- I used dried cranberries but you can use any dried fruit that you have on hand.
- Allow to cool completely. Store in 2 – 2 quart jars with tight fitting lids.
- To serve put ½ cup of granola in a bowl, top with milk or yogourt and serve.
Adding kefir to this granola recipe makes the oats soften and swell in the oven, but the extended cooking time restores the crunch to the oats.