Another sweet treat from roses.
- 3 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of wild rose petals, with a strong perfume, harvested early in the morning
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of apple pectin
- The juice of one lemon
- Very gently rinse and drain the rose petals and place them in a large bowl with 1 cup of sugar and the lemon juice.
- With your hands, massage the rose petals with this mixture until you reduce the petals to a sort of “paste.”
- The petals should remain whole, not torn, but with the sugar and lemon they will release colour and perfume.
- Do not speed this process by putting it through your food processor. Your patience will pay off.
- In the meantime, add the rest of the sugar to the water and heat in a large saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the rose petals and bring to the boil. Allow to boil until the syrup thickens and the petals no longer float (about 30 minutes).
- This jam is more runny than fruit jams, but has a lovely rose fragrance and taste. Keep an eye on it, and stir every now and then.
- While still hot, place the jam in clean, sterilized jam jars.
- Complete seals in a boiling water bath canner, and allow to cool.