A chewy fudge-type brownie that is perfect for any occasion, and a hit at any potluck.
- 1 cup of butter, softened
- 2 cups of organic sugar
- 1 1/4 c. flour, all purpose
- 1 cup. hazelnuts, chopped (optional)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup. cocoa powder (or 4 oz. melted dark chocolate)
- 1 cup chocolate chips, semi-sweet for topping (optional)
- Add butter to melted chocolate or cocoa powder.
- Mix well and stir in sugar.
- When well mixed add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Add flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add nuts.
- Spread in a greased rectangular casserole dish. Batter will be very stiff and come up about 1 1/2 inches on the sides.
- Bake at 350F for 25 to 30 min.
- When removed from the oven, mixture will appear soft and under-cooked.
- You want to cook it until only about 10 – 20% in the centre is under-cooked and the rest seems firm.
- Remove from oven and put on cooling rack.
- Sprinkle top with 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, while still hot.
- Allow chocolate chips to melt completely.
- Spread to an even layer over top with a knife.
- Allow to cool completely and cut into squares. They firm up as they cool.
These brownies are awesome served hot with ice-cream, served at room temperature with tea or coffee, or served frozen.