This is a delicious, lemony, gluten-free cookie with the texture that your gluten free friend has been missing. Crispy and flaky with the mouth-freel of wheaten cookies, these cookies are perfect for shipping and gifting. Make them plain as lemon poppy seed cookies, or put two cookies together with a lemon cream centre for Lemon Poppy Seed Cream Cookies.
- 1 cup butter, creamed
- 1 cup of organic sugar
- 2 tbsp. flax jelly*
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp. lemon peel/zest, organic
- 2 tsp. lemon extract
- ½ cup poppy seeds
- 2 1/2 cups Gluten Free flour, Bob’s Redmill
- 1 tsp baking powder
Cream Centre Ingredients
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. India Tree Natural Dye Food Colouring
- 1 to 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- Cream butter and sugar.
- * Make flax jelly: In a separate bowl add 3 tbsp flax seed plus ½ cup of boiling water. Allow it to sit for 3 minutes. Beat with a fork until foamy and viscose. Strain out the clear viscose liquid. This is the flax jelly. Take 2 tbsp. of the flax jelly and add to the creamed sugar and butter mixture.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add lemon peel and lemon extract and beat for 1 minute.
- Add poppy seeds. Allow the poppy seeds to swell for 30 minutes.
- Add gluten-free flour and baking powder.
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes to allow the flour to absorb liquid.
- Form into logs and wrap in parchment paper. Refrigerate for overnight or up to 1 week.
How to bake
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Remove from the refrigerator.
- Slice as thinly as possible into cookie rounds.
- Place one inch apart on greased cookie sheet.
- Prick cookies with a fork several times. This helps the cookies crisp up.
- Bake at 375*F for 15 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Allow to cool for 2 or 3 minutes on the baking sheet.
- Transfer cookies to cooling rack to finish cooling completely. Cookies will be crisp and chewy.
- With this gluten free cookie, you don’t need to wait for the cookie sheet to cool before putting the next rounds of dough on the baking sheet for baking. A hot cookie sheet will help the cookies spread thinner, making for a crisper finished cookie.
To make creamed cookies
- Blend butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add lemon extract, lemon juice, and food colouring.
- Blend until smooth.
- Makes enough icing for 2 – 3 dozen cookies.
- You’ll want to use a spatula to get every bit of the icing out of the bowl.
- Place 1 tsp of icing in the centre of each cookie, with a spatula, moving icing in a circular motion.
- Cap with second cookie.
- Set aside and wait for the cream filling to firm up before packaging.
- Package in an gift bag, tying tightly closed, so that the cookies stay fresh and crisp.
- These cookies are crispy and flaky. They are great alone or with the cream centre. Make some of each.