A tasty chocolate bundt cake that no one will guess contains zucchini!
- 3 cups zucchini, shredded
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of organic sugar
- 1 cup of milk
- 3 cups flour, unbleached all-purpose
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
For topping and glaze:
- 2 tbsp. hazelnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted (for topping)¼ cup butter
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- orange peel, grated
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Stir in zucchini and milk.
- Add cocoa, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Mix well to fully blend the cocoa powder so that there are no lumps of powder in the batter.
- Add flour and baking powder, stirring just enough to fully blend.
- Fold in hazelnuts.
- Prepare a bundt pan by buttering the sides and centre tube.
- Flour the pan.
- Pour batter into the pan. It should fill the pan by 3/4s, allowing room for the cake to rise.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted halfway between the side and the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Loosen the cake from the sides and centre of the pan using a dull knife.
- Turn the cake out onto a plate to finish cooling.
- In a saucepan melt the butter.
- Stir in sugar and simmer over medium heat.
- Stir in dark chocolate and continue stirring until chocolate is fully melted.
- Add orange peel.
- Drizzle with chocolate-orange glaze over the cake while it is still warm.
- Sprinkle the glazed cake with additional chopped and toasted hazelnuts.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/12th cake