Tasty almond and chocolate candy, perfect for the holidays.
- 1 lb. butter (don’t substitute margarine for the butter)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
- 1 1/2 chocolate chips, semi-sweet
- Mix butter, sugar, water and honey together in a large, heavy pan.
- Cover and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and wash down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in water.
- Do not stir the mixture.
- Insert candy thermometer.
- Cook until the candy thermometer reaches 290F — cook to 300F if you prefer a butterscotch toffee base.
- Remember to adjust the temperature to account for your elevation, by subtracting 2 degree F for every 1,000 feet in elevation above sea level that you live.
- Once candy reaches temperature, take off heat.
- Stir in almonds.
- Pour onto a well buttered baking sheet and spread out thinly.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes until a crust forms on top.
- Spread melted chocolate on top, sprinkle with more almonds, if desired or decorate with a small amount of white chocolate.
- Allow to cool over night.
- Break into pieces and package in 1/4 lb. gift giving bags.
- Makes 1 1/2 lbs of Almond Roca.