Harvest stinging nettle roots in the fall for this tincture that is helpful for men’s health.
- 2 cups dried or 4 cups of fresh stinging nettle roots
- 3 to 4 cups vodka or brandy (80 proof)
- 1-quart jar
- 5 amber glass bottles with dropper lids
- Fill a quart jar with nettle roots. Pour 40% vodka over them. Generally, an herbalist would use alcohol of at least 50% or 100 proof for this preparation, but where I live you can’t easily find vodka with a higher alcohol percentage. The tincture is still strong enough even with a lower alcohol percentage.
- Cap tightly. Label and date the jar. Shake the jar once a day or as often as you think of it.
- After 6 weeks, strain the jar contents, reserving the liquid. Press the spent nettle roots with a potato ricer or other press, to capture as much of the tincture as possible. Discard the roots.
- Pour the completed tincture into amber glass bottles. Cap with a dropper lid.
- Label and date. The tincture will be good for years.
Keywords: Stinging Nettle, Tincture