- Make St. Johns Wort tincture using fresh flowers and a mild tasting alcohol like vodka or brandy.
- 4 cups of fresh St. Johns wort flowers
- 3 cups of Brandy or Vodka (80 proof)
- Place the St. Johns Wort flowers in a 1 quart mason jar.
- Cover with alcohol. Use a knife to dislodge any air bubbles in the alcohol and ensure that the flowers are completely immersed in the alcohol. Top up with more alcohol if necessary to cover the flowers.
- Cap tightly and shake. Place in a sunny window and let the light of the sun draw the antioxidants out of the flowers and into the alcohol. This will make a more potent medicine.
- Shake daily or as often as you think of it.
- After 30 days, strain the flowers from the alcohol, retaining the tincture. The tincture will be ruby red.
- Store in colored glass bottles in a cool, dark place. Now that it is complete, it should be protected from light to maintain its potency.
- Label and date. This has a long shelf life of many years.