Shakshuka is a traditional Israeli dish. A substantial breakfast that is ready in 5 minutes and can be served at anytime.
- 1 cup of salsa or tomato sauce
- 4 large eggs
- 3 slices of Monterey jack cheese (optional)
- Crusty sour dough bread, pita, or gluten-free bread
- Put a small skillet on medium heat.
- Pour in 1 cup of home made salsa or home canned tomato sauce.
- Season to taste with additional cayenne pepper, if desired.
- Make a small indentation in 4 places in the tomato mixture and crack an egg into each one.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Place 3 slices of cheese over the eggs to melt.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve with bread and fruit.
- If you are serving more than 2 people just add more salsa and more eggs, allowing 2 eggs for each person.
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 867
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 2089
- Fat: 26
- Saturated Fat: 12
- Unsaturated Fat: 12
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 113
- Protein: 46
- Cholesterol: 409