- 3-4 cups fresh rhubarb, coarsely chopped
- 750ml vodka
- 1 orange, sliced (optional)
- 1.5 cups granulated sugar
- 1.5 cups water
- Wash and chop the rhubarb. Trim the ends and remove any damaged fragments.
- Place chopped rhubarb in a wide mouthed quart jar. Lightly pack in the rhubarb. If desired, add one, small, sliced orange for flavor.
- Pour the alcohol over the rhubarb, and place the lid on the quart jar. Set aside in a dark location and shake daily for 3-6 weeks, or until all color has faded from the rhubarb and into the alcohol.
- Strain the jar into a large bowl through a large sieve, and reserve the liquid. Press out as much liquid from the rhubarb as you can. Reserve the liquid and discard the solids.
- In a small saucepan, add the water and sugar and bring to a low boil to prepare a simple syrup. Once the sugar dissolves, turn down the stove and let the syrup simmer.
- Let water reduce by one quarter, and let cool. When cooled, add the simple syrup to the infused vodka.
- Portion the blended rhubarb alcohol and sugar mixture into nice bottles, label and date.
- Let the rhubarb liqueur age for an additional month to let flavors meld and mellow.