This rhubarb custard dessert is made in 3 parts. A baked crust, topped with custard and fruit. Then a baked meringue completes this creamy, tart-sweet rhubarb custard. But don’t be scared away. It’s not complicated.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- ½ cup butter cubed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 tablespoons gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups cut rhubarb
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare an 8 x 12 cake pan by greasing the bottom and sides
- Mix crust ingredients. Cut in cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Press in pan and bake 10-15 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Chop 4 to 5 long stalks of rhubarb to total about 4 Cups
- Separate eggs
- Combine coconut cream, sugar, egg yolks, and flour. Stir in vanilla extract.
Fold in rhubarb.
- Pour filling on top of baked crust.
- Bake 40 minutes in 350 degree oven.
- To make meringue add egg whites, lemon juice, sugar, and vanilla extract to a bowl.
- Whip until egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Put whipped egg whites on filling and bake until brown. 10-15 minutes. Cool completely before serving.