These pumpkin spice energy balls are made without added sweetening. They have just a hint of sweetness to curb your cravings while satisfying the need for a pick-me-up in the afternoon slump.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup of dates, cubed
- 1 cup of pumpkin or squash puree
- ¼ cup yellow maca root powder, gelatinized
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tbsp. sweet cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- ½ tsp. cardamom
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a heavy skillet, toast walnuts until they are fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Add cooled walnuts to a food processor with an S-shaped blade. Process on low until walnuts turn into nut butter.
- Add coconut oil and continue processing on low until smooth.
- Add dates and pumpkin puree. Process on low until smooth. The dough will be stiff.
- Add maca powder, chia seeds, and spices. Process by pulsing until just blended.
- Remove the dough from the food processor bowl to another bowl.
- Fold the chocolate chips and pumpkin seeds into the pumpkin mixture. The dough will be moist but not sticky.
- Put half the coconut into the bottom of a 7 by 9 pan and the rest into a shallow bowl.
- Take 1 tablespoon size portion of the pumpkin mixture and roll it around your palms until it forms a one inch ball.
- Roll the ball around in the coconut in the shallow bowl until it is fully covered.
- Place the finished ball into the 7×9 pan on top of the loose coconut. Repeat with the remaining mixture, placing each finished ball into the pan.
- Chill the pan for one hour.
Serve with tea, coffee, or pumpkin spice latte.