Simple Pizzelle’s perfect for Christmas.
- 1/2 c. organic virgin coconut oil
- 2/3 c. brown sugar or organic raw sugar
- 3 eggs, free range
- 1 cup of brown rice flour, freshly ground
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour, freshly ground
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. anise seed
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Cream together coconut oil, sugar, and eggs in a medium bowl.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add vanilla, anise seed, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Mix in rice flour and wheat flour and mix well.
- Batter with be thick, like cookie dough, not runny.
- Preoil and preheat Pizzelle iron.
- When the Pizzelle iron is hot, drop 1 tsp. of batter into the center of each circular motif on the inner surface of your iron.
- Close the iron and wait till the indicator light signals that the wafers are done, about 90 seconds.
- Wafers should be golden brown.
- Non-electric irons will need to be flipped after 1 or 2 minutes to cook both sides of the wafer evenly.
- When wafers are golden brown remove from the pizzelle iron and cool in a single layer on a wire rack.
- They come out of the pizzelle iron soft and pliable and will crisp up quickly.
If you want to make cannoli, roll the pizzelle quickly, as soon as you remove them from the pizzelle iron. Then allow to cool. Fill with whip cream, or hazelnut filling, just before serving, using a piping bag with nozzle.