A straight forward multi-grain bread loaf.
- 3 cups lukewarm water (about 95F)
- 1 tbsp organic sugar
- 2 tbsp granulated yeast (2 packets)
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp celtic salt or sea salt
- 4 1/2 cups unsifted, whole wheat flour
- 4 to 6 tbsp. vital wheat gluten
- 1 cup of oat flour, or other whole grain flours
- 1 cup of rye flour, or other whole grain flours
- ½ cup ground flax seed or chia seed
- ½ cup ground sunflower seeds, almonds, walnuts, or other nuts
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water. Allow yeast to become bubbly.
- Add salt and stir to dissolve.
- Add liquid to mixing bowl and add 4 cups of whole wheat flour, and 4 tbsp vital wheat gluten.
- Mix to moisten all flour.
- Using the dough hook, beat in your stand mixer until threads of gluten form in the dough.
- Beat an additional 5 minutes in the mixer or by hand with a wooden spoon.
- Add in rye flour, oat flour, sunflower seeds, and flax or chia seed. Beat well after each addition.
- Add in final ½ cup of whole wheat flour.
- Dough should be stiff and form a ball, but very moist.
- Put dough in a bowl with a tight fitting lid. Allow to rise, covered, The flour will absorb more of the liquid as it rises.
- Once the dough is risen, punch it down. At this point your loaf should be moist and sticky.
- You can take a few tablespoons of wheat flour and knead it in to make a smooth, pliable dough.
- Knead it for about 3 to 5 minutes and let it rest again for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F for loaves or 400F for rolls or pizza dough.
- Place the pan in the oven, on the centre rack. Also place on the lower shelf of the oven a shallow pan of water.
- Bake loaves for 10 minutes.
- Turn heat down to 350F and complete the baking for another 20 minutes. For rolls or pizza dough, turn heat down after 10 minutes and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until rolls are lightly brown and sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove rolls or loaves from oven and remove from pans immediately.
- Allow to finish cooling on a rack.