Use a variety of kale leaf textures and colors for this salad if you have access to garden fresh Kale.
- 1 Bunch of Kale or 8 to 10 leaves of garden Kale or about 8 ounces prepared Kale
- 1 medium beet, peeled and shredded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 ripe red pear, deseeded and thinly sliced
- Wash the kale leaves. Remove the coarse midrib and stem from each leaf. Lay the leaves on top of each other and roll them tightly, side to side. Using a sharp knife slice the leaves across the roll, into thin ribbons. Place the prepared kale in the salad bowl.
- Peel the beet and shred it on the edge of a box grater. Add the shredded beet to the kale in the bowl.
- Prepare the dressing. Peel the garlic clove and mince it. Add it to a blender jar. Add lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, and basil leaves to the blender jar. Blend until the ingredients thicken and are well blended, about 30 seconds.
- Toast the walnuts in a cast iron frying pan until lightly brown and fragrant. Toss into the bowl with the Kale and beets.
- Pour dressing over all and mix well with the salad greens. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Quarter and core the pear. Slice each quarter thinly.
- When you are ready to serve the salad, divide the salad into 4 individual bowls. Fan the sliced pear over the top of each salad as a garnish.
- Serve immediately.
Mix and match the herbs, fruit, and nuts in this recipe based on what you have that’s plentiful as the season progresses. This salad is very versatile.
Keywords: Kale salad,