A simple pasta noodle recipe that anyone can learn to make with just 3 ingredients.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- Mix flour and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour. Crack eggs into this well.
- Beat the eggs with a fork and then use a wooden spoon to draw the flour into the eggs. Mix to make a stiff dough.
- If the dough is too dry add water 1 tablespoon at a time. If dough is too wet, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Mix until you have a stiff dough. The dough will be dryer than when making flat bread.
- Knead the dough until it is soft and pliable. It will be smooth and elastic at this point.
- Cover the dough in the bowl and set it aside for 30 to 45 minutes to rest.
- Divide dough into 4 portions. Knead dough and then roll out as thinly as possible, on a generously floured board. It should be paper thin and elongated.
- Cut with a noodle cutter or a knife into thin strips. You can use a pasta machine for this step, if you have one.
- Let the pasta dry briefly while you roll out the remaining dough. I put a tea towel over my kitchen cupboard door, and then drape the noodles over this clean towel, to dry.
- To cook the pasta, boil a pot of water on the stove top. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to the water. Drop in pasta. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until pasta is tender, al dente. Don’t over cook.
Homemade pasta cooks faster than dried pasta. Don’t walk away when you are boiling it.