An easy and delicious Seville orange marmalade recipe, to make at home.
- 7 Seville oranges, organic if possible
- 6 cups organic sugar
- 7 cups water
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- ¼ teaspoon butter
- Scrub oranges to remove grime, wax, and pesticides.
- Cut each orange in half. Use a citrus reamer to extract the juice. Set the juice aside.
- Scoop out the pulp and seeds with a large spoon, set aside. Leave the pith on the peel.
- Cut the peel into fine strips, as if you are making candied peel. Cut longer peels in half.
- In a heavy bottomed 4 quart pot, combine juice, prepared peel and water.
- Using a clean handkerchief, tie up the pulp and seeds securely with butcher twine and add the package to the pot where you are cooking your Seville orange marmalade.
- Bring pot to a boil and turn down the heat so that the pot remains at a simmer. Simmer the pot for 3 hours, until the peel is soft and translucent. Do not discard simmering water.
- Remove the handkerchief. Press it with the back of a wooden spoon to remove as much juice as possible. Return this juice to the pot.
- Measure the volume of the peels and their liquid. You should have a total of 6 cups. If you are short add enough additional water to bring the volume up to 6 cups.
- Stir in sugar. Continue to stir until sugar is fully dissolved. Split vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Using the tip of a paring knife, scrape out the soft inner part of the vanilla bean. Add to pot. Break vanilla bean halves in half. Add to pot.
- Over medium heat, bring sugar to a full, rolling boil. Add ¼ teaspoon of butter to prevent foaming. Boil the pot, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 220°F on a candy thermometer. Remove your Seville orange marmalade from the heat.
- Skim the pot to remove any foam. Set the foam aside to include in a barbecue sauce or meat baste. Remove vanilla bean pieces. Set aside to use in tea. You can dry them out to save for later, or use immediately.
- Pour the Seville orange marmalade into jam jars. Wipe the jar rims to remove any spills. Cover with prepared 2 part lids.
- Process the marmalade in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes on a rapid boil. Remove from canner and allow to cool on a towel on the counter until the seals are complete and jars are fully cooled. Label and date.