Grilled Zucchini Marinated in Aioli and Lime Juice
An easy to make grilled vegetable dish that makes use of the prolific zucchini plant and tastes amazing. Even folks who say they don’t like courgettes or zucchinis will enjoy these grilled zucchinis.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes + 3 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Category: Grilled vegetables
- Method: Barbeque
- Cuisine: North American
- 2 — 12 to 14 inch long zucchinis
- 1 tablespoon aioli sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest from 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves only or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Wash zucchinis. Remove the stem and blossom ends. Discard in compost.
- Slice zucchinis into 3/4 inch thick slices. Place in a 3 quart bowl.
- Prepare the marinade by adding olive oil, lime juice and zest, and fresh or dried herbs and spices to a 1 cup measuring cup. Pour over zucchini slices in the bowl.
- Stir to cover all sides of the zucchini slices with marinade. Cover the bowl with a lid, a sheet of beeswax wrap, or a piece of plastic wrap, to protect the zucchini slices from drying out in the air.
- Set aside to marinate for 3 hours. Stir the zucchini slices in the marinade occassionally during the marinating period.
- Preheat the barbeque grill for 10 minutes to ensure that the heat is evenly distributed. Stir the zucchini slices in the bowl, so that the slices sitting on the bottom are now on the top of the bowl. Place these zucchini slices on the grill first.
- Grill on each side for 3 to 5 mintues. The actual time will vary depending on how hot your grill is. Turn the slices over when the char lines are pale brown. Grill on the remaining side.
- Using a heat proof pastry brush, baste the marinade on the second side of the zucchini before turning the slices over.
- Dredge the remaining slices of zucchini through the marinade on both sides, before placing them on the grill. Grill them as you did the first slices. Repeat until all the zucchini is grilled on both sides and is tender crisp, succulent, and smokey.
- Serve hot or cold.
Grilled zucchini goes well with tzatziki sauce, sour cream, or ranch dip.
Keywords: Grilled Zucchini, Zucchini Recipes, Summer Squash Recipes,