The make ahead gluten free rum balls are a must have adult treat on your Christmas cookie tray. This is one confection that actually tastes better when it’s made gluten free.
- 24 Gluten-free Chocolate Pizzelle Cookies or 3 cups Gluten Free cookie crumbs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch
- 1 ½ cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Maple syrup
- ½ cup rum
- In a blender or food processor process pizzelle cookies – 8 at a time to make cookie crumbs. Add 3 cups cookie crumbs to a 2 quart mixing bowl, approximately 1 batch of chocolate pizzelle crackers like these.
- Place granulated sugar and tapioca starch in a blender. Blend until sugar become uniform and silky, like icing sugar. Add to mixing bowl with cookie crumbs.
- Place pecans and butter in a heavy skillet. Place over medium heat and cook stirring frequently until pecans are fragrant and golden brown. Remove from heat. Cool. Place toasted nuts in a blender jar and blend until crumbly and uniform. Add to mixing bowl.
- Add maple syrup, vanilla, and rum to the mixing bowl. Mix well until the crumbs are completely damp and a uniform mixture is formed. Wait 10 minutes.
- Take 1 tablespoon of mixture and roll in to ball in your hands. Roll ball in cocoa powder. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture. Wait 10 minutes.
- Then roll each piece in chocolate sprinkles. (The chocolate sprinkles won’t stick to the rum balls until the cocoa powder has been absorbed.)
- Place in airtight container and store in a cool place or in the fridge. These need 24 to 48 hours for the flavors to meld before serving. Make ahead. These do not need to be refrigerated.
Keywords: Gluten free, rum balls, holiday baking