Try this gluten-free version of quiche when you need a nutritious meal on the table quickly. With the endless flavor variations you’ll never get tired of gluten-free quiche.
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon black sesame, flax, or black cumin seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup button mushrooms, washed, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 eggs, scrambled
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare crust first. In a medium size bowl mix almond flour and coconut flour . Add in black sesame seeds if you are using them. Melt butter on the stove top and pour it into the bowl. Mix with a fork until well blended.
- Press the crust mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a spring form pan. The crust will come about 1 inch up the sides of the pan.
- Bake the crust for 5 minutes or until the crust just begins to brown. Coconut flour browns quickly and at a lower temperature than wheat flour. Remove from the oven. Increase the oven temperature to 375°F.
- While the crust is baking prepare the filling.
- Wash and slice the mushrooms. Place the mushrooms and butter in a small cast iron skillet. Brown the mushrooms in butter over medium heat until the mushrooms have shrunk in size and most of their liquid has evaporated. Stir them while they are sautéing. This will take about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mushrooms to cool slightly, to make them safe to handle.
- Place the mushrooms in an even layer over the baked crust. Sprinkle these with parsley and grated cheese, in order. Pour the beaten eggs over the cheese, parsley, and mushrooms in the bottom of the crust.
- Bake the quiche at 375°F for 18 minutes, until the eggs have set. Remove from the oven. Allow the quiche to cool on a wire rack for five minutes before serving.
While still warm, slice the quiche into 8 equal pieces. Serve with a green salad, sprouts, and carrot sticks for a balanced meal.
For make ahead lunches prepare the quiche. Allow it to cool completely. Slice into 8 equal pieces. Slip each piece in an individual sandwich container like this one. Store in the freezer. Remove pieces from the freezer as needed. Will keep for 3 months in the freezer.