This gluten free peach dessert is made with fresh peaches at the peak of ripeness. You won’t need much sugar, because fresh peaches are naturally sweet.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
Peach custard filling
- 6 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch (or gluten free flour blend)
- 4 cup peaches, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons organic sugar
- Prepare an 8 by 12 baking pan by greasing with butter and flouring with gluten free flour.
- In a small bowl, add almond flour and gluten free flower. Cut in cold butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture into baking pan.
- Bake in 275F oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Prepare topping:
- Bring eggs to room temperature. Separate eggs and set egg whites aside for the meringue topping. Add the egg yolks to a bowl. Beat lightly with a fork to break apart. Add sugar, vanilla, coconut milk, and tapioca starch. Beat for 30 seconds with a handheld mixer or the whisk attachment of a hand blender. Mixture will thicken and become paler.
- Prepare peaches by dipping in simmering water for 1 minute. Blanche in cold water. Slip the skins. Slice the peaches away from the pits. Discard skins and pits. Add the sliced peaches to the custard base. Stir gently to avoid breaking the fruit. Pour over prepared crust.
- Bake at 375F for 45 minutes or until custard is firm and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven.
- In a clean bowl, with clean beaters, add egg whites, lemon juice, vanilla, and sugar. Beat with a whisk or whisk attachment on an electric beater, until stiff peaks from. Continue beating for 30 seconds longer.
- Spoon over the top of the peach custard.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 375F to brown the top.
- Remove from oven. Chill completely before serving.
Try this recipe with other fruit like plums, cherries,strawberries, and rhubarb. The sweeter the fruit the less sugar you will need in the custard, so be sure to adjust the sweetness so that the final dessert is not cloying.
Keywords: Gluten free, peach dessert