This chocolate pizzelle recipe is gluten free and offers a sweet, light finish to a meal or a cup of rich coffee.
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- In a medium bowl mix together butter, eggs, and sugar. Beat with a whisk until fully blended. Add cocoa powder. Mix well until all the cocoa powder has been incorporated. Add almond flour , gluten-free flour blend, and baking powder. Mix well.
- Preheat pizzelle iron. The pizzelle iron is hot enough when water spinkled onto the surface dances. Grease the pizzelle iron with coconut oil using a silicone pastry brush.
- Using a tablespoon measure out the batter onto the preheated pizzelle iron. Place in the pizzelle batter on the waffle plate of the iron toward the back of center. Close the pizzelle iron. Bake for 2 minutes or until the pizzelle reaches the correct doneness for you.
Remove the pizzelle from the iron. Place on cooling rack to crisp and cool. Repeat with remaining dough. Once the pizzelle is cool, trim each waffle cookie to smooth the edges.
- The waste trim may be used to make rum balls, or in other ways cookie crumbs are used.
- Store in airtight container. Will last for 1 week at room temperature. Freeze for longer storage. Will keep for 3 months in the freezer without loss of quality.
Keywords: Pizzelle recipe, Christmas Cookies