A switchel is a blend of ginger, honey, and vinegar that is used as a summer beverage. It is rich in potassium, glucose, and sodium to replace electrolytes during heavy physical activity. Switchels were the first Gatorade. You can easily make this ginger switchel at home using just 4 ingredients. And it’s better for you, too.
- 2 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon local honey
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 4 cups of water
- Peel and chop the ginger
- Zest and juice the lemon
- Place all the ingredients in a glass quart Mason jar and give it a good shake.
- Place the jar in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, but overnight is even better.
- Shake or stir and then strain the switchel through a fine sieve or cheesecloth before serving over ice. Straining is optional, chewing the fresh pieces of ginger also has its benefits
- Serving Size: 1 cup
Keywords: switchel, ginger, honey, apple cider vinegar