A refrigerator cookie that’s perfect for shipping. Crispy, and flaky with a hint of lemon and maple flavours and warming ginger makes this cookie, perfect after a Thanksgiving feast.
- 1 cup butter, creamed
- 1 1/2 cups of organic brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp. lemon peel/zest
- ½ cup of maple sugar
- 1 tbsp. ginger spice powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups flour, unbleached all-purpose
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup maple sugar
- ½ to 1 cup icing sugar
- ½ tsp. India Tree Nature’s Colours yellow food colouring
- ¼ tsp. India Tree Nature’s Colours red food colouring
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, beating well.
- Add lemon peel, ginger, cinnamon, flour, and baking powder.
- Beat only until all flour is incorporated.
- Form into logs.
- Wrap logs in wax paper or parchment paper.
- Chill over night or up to a week in the refrigerator or 3 months in the freezer. Thaw in refrigerator before slicing.
When you are ready to bake them
- Preheat oven to 375*F
- Cut cookies from logs as thinly as possible.
- Place 1 inch apart on baking sheet.
- Bake at 375*F for 12 minutes. Allow cookies to remain on baking sheet for 2 or 3 minutes to finish baking outside of oven.
- Move to cooling rack.
- Allow baking sheet to cool before refilling with new cookies to bake.
- Cool baked cookies completely on wire rack before storage.
- Blend butter and maple sugar together until smooth.
- Mix in icing sugar.
- Add food colouring.
- Blend until smooth. Makes enough icing for 2 dozen cookies.
- Place 1 tsp of icing in the centre of each cookie.
- Spread with a spatula, moving icing in a circular motion.
- Cap with second cookie.
- These are great as single ginger crisp biscuits or paired as a cookie with a creamy centre. Make some of each.