A refreshing summer salsa to serve with salmon, or try with your next BBQ.
- 2 ripe peaches
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced finely
- 2 — 8 inch stalks of fresh lemon balm
- 1 salt fermented lime plus 1 tbsp. brine from fermented limes
- ½ tsp. rosemary and lavender herbed sea salt
- Blanch peaches in boiling water just long enough to loosen the skins.
- Plunge in cold water.
- Slip the skins.
- Slice the peaches against the pit.
- Discard the pit.
- Cube the peach slices and place in a bowl.
- Wash the lemon balm stalks in cold water and shake excess water from the stalks.
- Remove the leaves from the stalks. Discard stems.
- Roll the lemon balm leaves into a tight roll and chop very finely with a sharp chef’s knife.
- Add the lemon balm to the bowl of peaches.
- Wearing gloves, slice the jalapeno pepper in half.
- Remove the seeds and the membrane.
- Cut off the stem end.
- Cut the pepper into thin strips.
- Slice the strips to finely chop the pepper.
- Add to the bowl of peaches.
- Stir the peaches to combine.
- Remove the gloves.
- Peel and finely chop one half of a sweet onion.
- Place the remainder of the onion in a jar in the fridge.
- Add the diced onion to the bowl and mix in.
- Take one fermented lime from the jar.
- Separate the lime sections and squeeze each section over the peaches in the bowl to squeeze out as much juice as possible.
- Chop the lime sections, including the lime rind into fine cubes.
- Add to the peaches in the bowl, along with some brine from the jar of fermented limes.
- Stir to combine with the peaches.
- Add the herbed sea salt to the bowl. If you don’t have herbed sea salt, you can add regular sea salt.
- Stir well.
- Cover and set aside for one hour to allow the flavours to meld.
Serve with mild tasting pink salmon. The sweet, salty, sour flavour melds perfectly with salmon, poultry, and lamb.
Try this instead of corn relish on your burger.