Florentine bread for your quick and easy meatless Monday.
- Artisan Bread dough (if you’ve been following the blog you already have some in the fridge.)
- 3 cups soft goat cheese (you can substitute cream cheese, cottage cheese or ricotta)
- 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, or to taste
- Combine cheese, spinach, chives, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Roll out 1 1/2 lbs of artisan bread dough, about the size of a large grapefruit. Roll it about 1/4 inch thick – 8 inches wide by 12 inches long. Spread dough with cheese mixture leaving edges clean. Roll up cinnamon bun fashion, seal the edge.
- Place seam side down on well greased cookie sheet. Brush top with beaten egg white. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds, sesame seeds or flax seeds. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Bake loaf for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Slice while still warm into 2 inch slices.