- 1 pound lemons, organic
- 4 inch piece of ginger, peeled
- 4 inch piece of turmeric, washed and peeled
- 3 cups organic honey, liquid
- Wash lemons, ginger, and turmeric. Slice lemons thinly, set aside. Peel ginger and turmeric with the side of a spoon. Slice ginger and turmeric thinly. Layer lemon, ginger, and turmeric in a wide mouth quart Mason jar. Pour honey over the top. Use a knife to dislodge lemons and ensure that all is completely covered with honey. Cap tightly.
- Place the jar on a plate to catch any overflow.
- Place the jar in a warm spot where you will see it daily. Once a day, shake the jar. Burp the jar to allow any build up of fermentation gases to escape.
- After 2 or 3 days the honey in the jar will become more viscous. This is an indication that the fermentation is on track.
- After a week, place the jar in the fridge to stop the fermentation process. Leave the jar in the fridge to continue to infuse for up to a month.
- Strain the lemon and herbs from the honey. Retain the herbs and lemons in a separate jar to use in herbal tea. It lends a nice flavor and still has some therapeutic benefits. Place the strained, fermented honey in a jar, label and date.
- To use the fermented honey, take freely by the teaspoon to soothe a sore throat, or loosen stuffiness.