Edible Flower Cookies that are Gluten Free and Gorgeous
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups of almond flour
- 1 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1 cup of tapioca starch
- Edible flowers such as pansies, viola, rose, nasturtium, dianthus, knautis, scabacius, monarda,
- Beat butter and 1 1/3 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix well. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition. Add almond flour , buckwheat flour, and tapioca starch and mix to make dough.
- Roll out dough between two layers of parchment paper, until ¼ inch thick. Cut out round cookies. Remove excess dough around edges. Place fresh flowers like pansies, nasturtium, rose petals in the center of each cookie.
- Cover with parchment paper and roll lightly to press in flowers into the dough.
- Chill dough for 20 minutes. Recut the cookies with a cookie cutter, to smooth the edges. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 365°F for 10 minutes or until lightly brown and done. Sprinkle with organic sugar, while still hot.
- Transfer cookies to cooling rack. Cool completely before serving.
Keywords: gluten free cookies, shortbread, edible flowers