Make this easy rose petal jam to serve with tea and scones or serve it on breakfast toast for a romantic start to your day.
- 4 cups rose petals, cleaned
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups cold water
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 envelope liquid pectin
- 2 tablespoons rose water (optional)
- Remove the rose petals from the flowers and measure 4 pressed-down cups of petals. Place the rose petals in a large bowl. Add the sugar and stir the rose petals and sugar together with your hands. Cover the bowl with a tight lid or with plastic wrap. Set aside in a cool spot for 4 hours, to allow the petals to sweat and give up their fragrance.
- Place the prepared rose petal and sugar mixture into a large saucepan. Add the water to the saucepan and stir until the sugar is fully dissolved. Add the lemon juice. Heat the saucepan over medium heat until the saucepan begins to boil, about 10 minutes, stirring as needed to prevent the jam from scorching. Boil the mixture for 1 minute.
- Add the contents of a packet of liquid pectin to the rose petal jam. Return the pan to a boil and boil rapidly for 2 minutes. Test the gel set. Remove the pan from the heat if there is sufficient gel. Add the rose water for additional flavor, if you are using it.
- Skim off any foam and discard it. Ladle the hot rose petal jam into 7 clean half-pint jars leaving ¼-inch headspace. Wipe the jar rims with a clean towel to remove any food residue. Cover securely with warmed 2-piece lids and rings. Process the jars in a water bath canner for 10 minutes plus your altitude adjustment.
- Label the jars and store them in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use within 2 years.
This delicately flavored jam is delicious and rare. It makes a lovely hostess gift or wedding shower gift.
Keywords: rose recipes