A sweet and spicy jam that is perfect with savory dishes.
- 2 cups grated ginger
- 2 cups water
- Juice and zest from 2 lemons
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ teaspoon butter
- Wash, peel, and grate ginger into fine threads. Peeling ginger is easiest with the edge of a spoon. Place ginger into a heavy bottomed 2 quart saucepan.
- Add water, lemon juice and zest. Stir in sugar until it is fully dissolved.
- Put pan over medium heat and bring to a rapid boil. Add butter to prevent foaming. Cook till jam reaches 220°F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and skim off any foam, until the surface of the jam is clear.
- Spoon into sanitized jars. Cover with 2 part lids. Seal jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Remove from boiling water bath and allow to cool completely. Label and date.