Naturally dye your own silk scarf with turmeric.
- Dissolve alum in warm water in your dye vat
- Wash silk scarf blank in warm water with a dash of soap, rinse well.
- Soak the silk blank in the alum water for at least 1 hour, or overnight
- Remove silk from alum and reserve mordant water for reuse.
- Fill dye pot halfway with warm water and add turmeric powder .
- Bring to a simmer, take off heat and add your silk scarf.
- Soak silk in the dye vat for at least 30 minutes, stirring every 10. You can soak longer if desired.
- Remove silk and rinse the scarf under warm running water.
- Dry and iron the silk scarf and enjoy.
- Dispose of the used dye vat in your compost pile, or other safe disposal.