The rich colors of this DIY gluten-free playdough are achieved using powdered herbs and spices. Cinnamon, cloves, turmeric, spirulina, and hibiscus powders offer rich jewel tones. If you have made gluten free playdough before you’ll notice that my recipe is different, contains more water, and more oil. The optional essential oils give the play dough a pleasant aroma that increases the play value.
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch, plus additional for kneading
- 3/4 cups Himalayan pink salt, fine
- 2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- Add gluten-free flour, tapioca starch, salt, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and cream of tartar to a saucepan.
- Pour in 2 cups of water. Whisk to remove lumps.
- Stirring constantly with a silicone spatula, simmer over medium heat until dough thickens and comes together about 5 minutes. The amount of water necessary depends on the brand of gluten-free flour that you are using and your relative humidity.
- If the dough becomes lumpy before it comes together, add an additional 1/2 cup of water to the saucepan and stir with the spatula to fully incorporate.
- Continue stirring until dough comes together. Remove from heat.
- Turn the gluten free playdough out on a piece of parchment paper. Allow it to cool just enough so that you can handle it without getting burned.
- Divide the dough into four portions. Roll each into a ball. Color each portion separately.
This recipe makes 4 Christmas colored balls of playdough: Gingerbread, Evergreen,Christmas Red, and Golden. To keep the colors pure, wash your hands and clean the parchment paper between colors, as you are kneading. Cure the colors overnight before using them, so that the herbs and spices don’t mar furniture or clothes.