Make kombucha work for your lifestyle using this continuous brew system.
- 2 tablespoons loose tea
- 1 cup of organic sugar
- 1 gallon filtered water, divided
- 1 full-size kombucha scoby
- 2 cups mature kombucha for starter liquid
- In a 2 quart glass bowl, add loose tea, sugar, and 2 quarts of boiling, filtered, water. Stir the tea.
- Allow the tea to come to room temperature naturally. Pour the cooled tea directly into the continuous brew vessel, through a fine sieve to remove the tea leaves.
- Add the kombucha scoby and the kombucha starter. Fill the vessel to the top of the shoulders, leaving an inch or two in the neck of the vessel for a headspace.
- Cover the vessel with a clean handkerchief, secured with an elastic band.
- Let stand 3-7 days depending on how fermented you like your kombucha
- Draw off what you want to drink, top up your continuous brew container whenever it gets down to half or one quarter with this recipe.
- Or, draw off most of the kombucha at once, and bottle it using the secondary ferment technique for fizzy, and flavored kombucha.
Keywords: kombucha, fermented tea,