Salty with just a hint of sweet maple flavour.
- 2 lbs of Pecans
- 4 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 4 Egg Whites
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 4 tablespoons Water
- 1 cup Organic Maple Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground Celtic sea salt
- Mix egg whites, vanilla, maple syrup, and water in a 2 quart bowl. Stir briskly with a fork until lightly frothy.
- Add pecans and stir well to completely coat.
- Allow pecans to absorb some of the liquid for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle maple sugar over saturated pecans.
- Stir well, by hand, until maple sugar is evenly distributed. Do not be so vigorous as to break the pecans.
- Pour out on buttered baking sheet. Spread into a single layer, leaving some pecans touching others, if you want them to clump together after baking.
- Sprinkle coarsely ground Celtic Salt lightly over the top of the pecans.
- Preheat oven to 275*F. Bake pecans for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until golden brown and dry.
- Remove baking tray from oven and put on to a cooling rack. Allow pecans to cool completely before storing in an air tight container.
- To package for gift giving, place in cellophane bags and tie with a cheerful ribbon. Place filled and sealed cellophane bags in a cookie tin for gifting. Alternatively fill a mason jar with the candied pecans. Cover with a bright piece of gingham or a seasonal printed fabric. Close with a lid and seal, and tie with a holiday ribbon.