Candied ginger that’s chewy, sweet, and gluten free.
- 1 large hand of ginger, peeled and sliced into 1/8th inch thick slices
- Juice and zest of 2 medium lemons
- 3 cups of water
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon of butter
- Add prepared ginger, juice and zest to a heavy bottom sauce pan. Add 3 cups of water. Simmer ginger in the water for 1 hour, until soft. Top up with additional water to make 2 1/2 cups of liquid in total. Stir in 2 1/2 cups of sugar. Stir until all sugar is dissolved.
- Simmer over medium heat until mixture comes to a rapid boil. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of butter to reduce foaming. Stir occasionally to keep ginger from sticking to the bottom of the pot. When mixture reaches 220 degrees F. on a candy thermometer remove from heat.
- Prepare a cooling rack, by placing it on a baking sheet to catch drips. Strain out ginger pieces and place in a single layer on the cooling rack. Strain the remaining ginger syrup into a sanitized mason pint jar (500 ml). Save the ginger syrup for another use.
- Put 1/2 cup of sugar into a bowl. Dredge each piece of ginger through the sugar, coating both sides. Return to cooling rack to cool fully. Save the extra ginger sugar for another use.
Keywords: Crystalized ginger, candied ginger