These have a rich caramel flavour and a gooey, toothsome texture. Makes 1 1/2 dozen.
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 ½ cups Bob’s Redmill Organic Whole Wheat flour
- ¼ cup freshly ground flax seed
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup of organic maple sugar, or brown sugar
- ¼ cup of Bob’s Redmill Organic Whole Wheat flour
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup pecans, whole
- 1 cup of dried cranberries
- Cream together butter and brown sugar.
- Blend in flour and flax seed until well blended.
- Press into the bottom of a greased 8 x 10 baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350F.
- Meanwhile prepare your filling.
- Cream together melted butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add vanilla and salt and beat until smooth.
- Stir in baking powder and flour.
- Fold in pecans and cranberries.
- Once the pan has come out of the oven, pour the filling over the top of the baked crust.
- Smooth out the filling to cover the crust evenly.
- Bake for at 360*F for 20 minutes.
- Squares will look fully baked on top and golden brown, but the filling remains liquid under the top crust. When you jiggle the pan, you should see a slight movement under the top crustiness.
- You can increase the baking time but check every 5 minutes and once the top is fully golden brown, remove from the oven.
- Do not over-bake.
- Allow this to cool for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Divide into 18 squares. See my note above for further explanation.
- Slice each square with a sharp knife, being sure to cut through the bottom crust.
- Remove to a plate and cool thoroughly before packaging for gift giving.
- This square is awesome to bring to a cookie exchange or a potluck, too. Makes 1 1/2 dozen.
- Calories: 4286
- Sugar: 313
- Sodium: 892
- Fat: 228
- Saturated Fat: 99
- Unsaturated Fat: 113
- Trans Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 531
- Protein: 58
- Cholesterol: 924