A chutney that is both warming and lightly tart.
- 8 cups black currants washed, destemmed
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar (I used organic)
- 4 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 medium onion, peeled, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon cardamom seeds (no pods just the fine seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed, whole
- Mix all the ingredients in a large saucepan and simmer over medium heat stirring occasionally. When the mixture reaches the gel stage (about 40 minutes), place in canning jars. Wipe the rims. Add two piece lids.
- Waterbath can for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the canner.
- Let the chutney age for 4 weeks before sampling to let the flavors meld.