Flax crackers with a light, crisp texture.
- 1 cup flax seed
- 2 cups w/w flour, freshly ground
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup of milk, enough to moisten dough, not enough to make it sticky
- 1 egg white, beaten lightly
- 1 tbsp. whole flax seed, sesame seeds or poppy seeds
- Grind the flax in a blender till it is coarsely cut.
- Mix flax, flour, salt and baking powder.
- Mix in butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in 1/2 cup milk.
- Mix lightly, adding more milk 1 tsp at a time until a ball is formed that is dry enough for rolling.
- Handle as little as possible.
- Cover and let rest for 15 min.
- Roll as thin as possible on floured surface.
- Cut with the rim of a glass or a mason jar ring for round crackers.
- Pierce each cracker at least 4 times with a fork.
- Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle on whole flax seed, sesame seed or poppy seeds.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheet in 350 F oven for 15 minutes, until crisp and golden.
- Cool on cooling rack or in a basket lined with a linen towel.
Handle this cracker dough lightly to keep the light flaky texture.